3501 San Pablo Ave
Oakland , CA 94608
137 total residential units 120 studios 12 1-bedroom 5 2-bedrooms
The California Hotel is a neighborhood landmark located on the San Pablo Avenue corridor, a one-mile stretch between uptown Oakland and Emeryville. Revitalization of the California Hotel marks the rebirth of a beautiful historic building and successful efforts to keep existing residents in their homes. With the input of community members, partners, and current residents, the renovated California Hotel will be a cornerstone of local economic development. Community and commercial/retail spaces will be activated with amenities, such as People’s Grocery’s community gardening, non-profit services and restaurants available to the entire neighborhood. Onsite supportive services will be provided to residents by service partner Lifelong Medical Care. When complete, the California Hotel will be a safe and healthy home, a place of architectural beauty and the arts, and a catalyst for local economic growth.Units have been recently renovated with the following upgrades:
- Individual unit upgrades:mechanical ventilation in each unit, new kitchenette to each unit that is currently without one
- Green building features: new heating system to improve energy efficiency, new solar hot water system
- Infrastructure improvements: replaced first elevator, added second elevator, new plumbing, seismic upgrade
- Historic preservation: integrity enhancements of Mission- Spanish Colonial Revival style features and reopening of the historic ballroom as a community space for residents
- Retail and nonprofit services in ground-floor commercial space and community spaces throughout the building
- 24/7 desk clerk and on-site resident manager
- Arts programming and gallery space in historic lobby
- Community garden and programming with People’s Grocery
- Resident supportive services with Lifelong Medical Care
Application deadline passed
As of January 18, we are no longer accepting applications.
CA Hotel Special Needs verification documents
A message for our partner service providers: below are the verification forms for special needs applicants for the California Hotel, which include 1) a form for verification of applicant’s special need(s), and 2) a form for verification of homelessness. Both verifications are required for applicants attempting to move into a unit designated for households with special needs. Completed forms can be sent with the applicant to their assigned screening interview. Service providers can email Lynn Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org for further clarification or additional questions.
Please note that this is not an application for housing, as the January 18th deadline has already passed.
E-mail a Friend
Send to More Friends